Monday, June 8, 2009

Who's an Addict?

I've done some looking around and see an attitude among folks that sex addicts are not 'real' addicts, whatever that means.
The usual argument goes something like 'Well, if you've never stolen your mother's television to get your fix, then you can't be addicted to (insert addiction here)'.
First off, I didn't realize that addicts needed to pass some kind of lame-ass litmus test in order to be accepted into the ranks of 'real' addicts and second, if that's the rubric that's going to be used for determining who 'get's' to be an addict then there are plenty of good people sick, dying and dead because of compulsions they couldn't control and demons they couldn't exorcise who never walked out of a loved one's home with expensive home electronics under their arms.
The argument is laughable and obviously made by people who have no idea what they're talking about.
So, because of the compulsions that drive me; sex instead of drugs or booze, and the fact that I never robbed audio/visual equipment, I don't get the 'luxury' of calling myself an addict. As if it's some sort of badge of honor or some sort of cool affectation for attention.
I have a better idea; instead of determining if my addiction would drive me to commit crimes to determine how much of an addict I am...why don't you ask some other folks.
Ask the family I destroyed through lies and betrayal.
Ask the woman whose heart I shattered.
Ask my three year old son who won't have his father in his life.
Ask the people who thought they knew me and who thought they could trust me.
Ask the women who I couldn't get away from fast enough once the sex was over, who must have felt like trash afterwards.
Ask everyone who didn't get the time and attention they should have been getting from me because I was too busy indulging every sick, self-absorbed, selfish fantasy and impulse.
Ask everyone I deceived.
Ask every woman that I will try to have a normal, healthy relationship with in the future.
Ask them and then get back to me on who's an addict.
Fuck you.


No comments:

Post a Comment